A June Bride

I am not quite sure where the desire to be a June bride comes from, but I have created my own June bride. Well, technically she is the Bride of Frankenstein and I have had a great time crocheting her.

.

I found her pattern for sale on line and just had to buy it, as well as an additional $38 dollars in patterns. Oops! I fell in love with this amigurumi author’s monsters and creatures. I was not very wise with my purchase though. What would have happened if I did not like the way the patterns were written or they involved a technique I couldn’t figure out? I should have just purchased one pattern to make sure it worked for me before I bought more, but luckily the patterns are fairly basic and are written very well.

.

The first thing I had to do was find the right color of yarn for her skin. I finally found the color I wanted at Hobby Lobby but the yarn is Jiffy from Lion Brand Yarn which is bumpy and fuzzy. I decided to give it a try even though it wasn’t just good old Red Heart 4-ply yarn. The Jiffy yarn worked up great with most of the fuzzy parts going to the inside. This was a little disappointing because I was picturing some fuzz to the monsters skin, but it looks fine without the fuzz. This yarn is a little bit thicker than I am used to but it did not seem to distort the size of the head, arms or legs.

.

The crocheting went smoothly. I followed the pattern closely and the only thing I would change is when to stuff the body. If I make the pattern again, I will go ahead and stitch a couple of more rows before I start to stuff the body. I think that will give me a smoother, closer stitch on the bottom. Her hair accents were a bit of a challenge. I tried to follow the pattern but I am not sure I did exactly. At the end I was just making it up as I went.  Although my hair accent is a little different than the picture on the pattern, I like how it turned out and the way it looks in her hair.

.

My favorite part of the construction was sewing the detail stitches on. There were no instructions and so I just stitched whatever looked good. It was fun to decided when you want a stitch to go up or down or diagonal. The choice was mine and I am pleased with the results.

.

All in all, the Bride of Frankenstein was great fun to make. I am very excited to start on my next monster pattern.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s