Slit Packets – Trial #1

To start, let me tell you what a slit placket is to me because I know not that that is what the sewing community really calls it. When I sew the husband a placket shirt, I make two facings and cut out the center of the shirt and sew the facings in. I call this a cut placket. When I make a placket shirt for a child, the pattern I have calls for one facing and to sew a slit, cut, and then fold the facing to form the placket. Thus, I call this type of placket a slit placket. Now, of the two, I like sewing a cut placket so much more because that is what I have been making for years but the time has come to learn a new skill and master the slit placket.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

As I mentioned in my previous blog post, the construction of the child’s shirt to try out the sew in interfacing was a disaster because of the slit placket. I went into the construction a little cocky because of the the success I had on the slit for the button in the back of the gray Mickey Mouse dress I had previously made. What I quickly learned was that the slit was easy to make but matching the fold is the hard part especially if the slit is not just right. I struggled my way through the slit placket construction. It was not perfect, barely acceptable. I know where I went wrong but I was done playing with it and pushed it to the side. I did not know if I would finish the shirt or just call it a practice run of the sew in interfacing and the placket.

.

When I panicked about preshrinking the interfacing, I grabbed the half constructed shirt and threw it in the washer too. I had not preshrunk the interfacing before I sewed it in. Washing it would tell me about shrink in an already made garment.

.

This comforted me that maybe the fabric and interfacing was not a total waste. I would learn from it and boy, did I.  The interfacing did just fine in the washer but the placket fell to pieces. It totally came unstitched. Now, the placket was totally unacceptable and I learned that I had done something really wrong, and I definitely had some more learning to do.

.

While the interfacing was washing, I did not want to waste precious sewing time, so I decided to cut out the husband’s new shirt while waiting for the wash to complete. After having a blonde moment and cutting the front of the husband’s shirt not on the fold, I decided to cut out another child’s shirt with a slit placket from the fabric of my cutting error. Luckily, I had extra fabric and was able to cut out a new front for the husband’s shirt on the fold. When the first shirt came out of the washer and the placket was a mess, I decided to sew the new child’s shirt I has just cut out first. I will let you know how that turned out in the next blog post.

Advertisements

One thought on “Slit Packets – Trial #1

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s