The Little Brother, Red

.IMG_0068

Roxie, the amigurumi cow I made awhile back, has been lonely lately so I decided to make her a friend. While surfing Raverly.com, I found the perfect friend for Roxie. Someone had taken Roxie’s pattern and given it big long steer horns. How cute! I could not wait to get started.

.

IMG_0065Crocheting the parts for Red, the long horn steer, was easy and fun since I had already made the pattern once before minus the horns. This is a fun pattern and is simple to make. I totally enjoyed the crocheting part of the construction. As always though, yarn sometimes can vary, and sewing together the crocheted parts presented some challenges. I used Red Heart yarn which one would think would be fairly consistent across manufacturing lots, but the beige color called aran stretched so much more in the stuffing process than the orange carrot color had. It made Red’s nose huge compared to Roxie’s nose. I tried to stuff the nose less but then it seemed under stuffed. I spent quite a bit of time trying to shape Red’s head so that he was not all nose. When I finally declared that his head was done, I stitched the buttons for nostrils to Red’s nose and they instantly became his eyes because of how big his nose is. This was very discouraging to me. But with a lot of positioning of Red’s head on his neck, I finally got Red to sit so that you could see his real eyes and could tell that the buttons are his nostrils and not his eyes. The mouth did help with this. This was not something I experienced with the construction of Roxie.

.

P1030115Because Red is a boy, I did not get the pleasure of making him a popcorn stitch udder, but I did get to make him two long complicated horns. The pattern started at the tip of the horn and worked it’s way towards the head. This meant that the first couple of rows were only 3 single crochets big. The horns were difficult to crochet and count and then to stuff. I learned a lot while making the first horn. I learned to stuff it early on and as you crochet with just a little bit of stuffing. I also learned to use a post-it P1030113note to mark on the pattern which row I was on and move the note on the pattern as I completed rows. That way I did not have to go back and try to count those small rounds as I went. The turns in the horns took a lot of patience and counting to crochet them. I learned that I don’t really like crocheting into slip stitches. After completing both horns I pinned them to Red’s head to sew them on and realized that the width of his horns and head was going to be over 2 feet wide. That was just way, way, way too big! I unpinned the horns and undid the crocheting to the first turn of both horns. Pinning the horns back on Red’s head, this made a big difference. I was much happier with the width, now just 17 inches. I was disappointed that I had spent all that time crocheting and stuffing only to undue those parts of the horns, but at least I had not sewn the horns to his head before I decided to shorten them.

.

IMG_0066Now with Red completed and sitting next to Roxie, he immediately became her little brother. He took on a mischievous personality all his own and quite different from Roxie’s personality . It is amazing to me even though they are from the same pattern, they ended up being so different. But, I guess that is what is so fun about making amigurumi’s. They are never the same twice and their own look and personalities as you crochet them.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s