Button Joints, Gin Joints, and Pin Points – Part 1 – The Crocheting

P1030553

Crocheting up some pockets pals recently was a fun stress reliever for me. After completing three of them, I was ready totackle a bigger and more complicated amigurumi project. This brought my back to my to do list. On the list was the category of joints. I had listed several different ways to make jointed amigurumi’s. After studying the list, I picked button joints. So my next project would be an amigurumi with buttons joints.

.

IMG_3855But first a little explanation is in order. Up until now, I have just sewn the arms and legs on to my amigurumi’s and the position I sewed them on at was the position they were in forever. For example, if I sewed the legs to the front of the body so that the amigurumi would sit nicely, then the amigurumi would sit but not stand. If I sewed the legs on so the amigurumi could stand, then having it posed in a sitting position is difficult if not impossible. A jointed amigurumi would have its arms and legs attached somehow so that the arms and legs are moveable. Another example, with a jointed amigurumi you could either twist the legs so the amigurumi could sit or twist the legs so the amigurumi could stand. And with jointed arms, you could twist the arms forward for hugs or twist them up to play peekaboo or just position them at the side. As I said there are several different things you can use as joints in an amigurumi, and for this project I had picked buttons to use.

.

P1030537

Now, picking button joints over the other types of movable joints was not a totallyrandom idea for me. I was given a great pattern and I have been wanting to make it for some time now. The pattern is a jointed teddy bear using buttons. For some reason I have a thing for bears. So it was very easy to pick a brown Red Heart yarn and my favorite size G (4mm) hook and get crocheting.

.


.
I started with the arms and legs. As I was crocheting, I quickly learned that this project was a stuff as you go project, and I quickly learned not to overstuff the pieces which I am prone to do. The arms and legs needed a taper, more stuffing at the bottom than at the top. The nice thing though is that the pattern was designed to lead you to this taper.

P1030546

Next, I crocheted the body and stuffed it as I normally would. My result was a round ball. What? Thiswas a horrible body. What happened? Had I miscounted? No, instead I learned that I had overstuffed the body, and that it too needed a taper. The head of this bear is crocheted in two parts and then stitched together, so after crocheting the head pieces I had two flat head pieces. Wondering how the head was going to look, I stitched the two pieces together and started stuffing. The head took shape and came out just perfect. The head is stuffed firmly with no taper.

You know I still have a lot more to say about the button jointed teddy bear, but for now I’m going to stop the story here. Join me next time and I’ll tell you how I sewed it all together and how it worked out in the end.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s