Honestly, jellyfish were not going to be my next amigurumi project. Instead I had started a very complicated amigurumi pattern to be my next project, but I quickly grew weary of working on it. I do have most of its pieces crocheted up and I had even started to stitch it together, but my interest in continuing to work on it was waning. I am going to complete this complicated amigurumi later, but I also want complete it correctly and not just rush to complete it or cut corners just to get it done. So I decided to take a break from the complicated amigurumi I was working on and find a fun and simple project to make for now. This lead me to my most recently completed amigurumi, a jellyfish.
It was not hard to pick the jellyfish pattern as the simple project that I wanted to make to alleviate the stress of working on the complicated project. The picture on the pattern looked like it would be simple but fun to make. Its twisty tentacles looked like a new thing to try out and I would get to use some of the fun variegated yarn I own, plus I could use some of the fun wiggle eyes I have in my eye stash.
The only drawback I saw to making the jellyfish was that the stitching together of the parts was not going to be very fun. But when is it ever? As written, the first step was to crochet and stuff a round ball for the body, then crochet the 8 tentacles, stitch the tentacles to the bottom of the ball and then add the ruffle, thus completing the jellyfish. Using what I had learned from attaching the legs to the my bee amigurumi’s, I would attach the tentacles with a knot in the back and then hide the knot, but as I started to crochet the round ball for the body, my thoughts turned to the turtle shells I had crocheted a while back.
The turtle’s shell was made in two parts. Remembering back, I learned that I liked to stitch the legs of the turtle to the bottom of the shell before attaching the bottom of the shell to the top. This would be true for the jellyfish as well. It would be easier to attach the tentacles to the bottom of the jellyfish before the top was completed and stuffed. So, I decided to change the jellyfish pattern. I crocheted the body or top of the jellyfish to the second round after the ruffle, then I started at the bottom of the pattern to make a circle that fit the top. I then attached the tentacles to this bottom circle, sewed the bottom circle to the body and stuffed the jellyfish before completing the stitching. It worked great, making the jellyfish one of the easiest patterns to stitch together so far.
I followed the instructions on the pattern to make the ruffle around the bottom of the jellyfish but I did not like how small it turned out. So, using the patterns for the scalloped edges that I use on my fleece baby blankets, I played around with the crocheting of the ruffle until I found a ruffle design I liked.
The pattern called for this jellyfish to be made with an E size hook. As you know, my favorite size hook is a G. But because I did not want a monstrous jellyfish, I opted to use an F size hook instead. After completing the first blue jellyfish and seeing her size, I decided to make another jellyfish with my G hook. I made the second jellyfish the same way as the first jellyfish in the two parts. This made it a fun and fast crochet. I did however make the tentacles a little different style on the second jellyfish.
On the first jellyfish, I carefully counted the chain stitches to make sure they were all the same.On the second jellyfish, I threw caution to the wind, chained however many chains looked like a good length and made all different length tentacles. I like the various lengths better and it was more fun to crochet. These jellyfish were a great distraction from the complicated amigurumi I was working on. They also peaked my interest again in working on the complicated amigurumi. So, I am diving back into my next or should I say my previous amigurumi project and I will let you know how it turns out.
Until next time, crochet forth and crochet on!