I have been wanting to crochet a dragon for a long time now. And I have seen many patterns for dragons while surfing the internet, both free and for sale in many different languages. But I just did not seem to be able to pick which pattern that I wanted to make. Did I want to make a realistic dragon with large wings? Or did I want to make a baby dragon that was cute and adorable? Or did I want to make a cartoon dragon with big eyes and a funny grin? How many heads did I want my dragon to have, one, two or three? Did I want him to stand on his hind legs or on all four legs? There was just too many design choices and so many patterns that I could never pick one out until I saw Dargo’s pattern. I don’t know exactly what it was about this pattern that made me pick it as my first amigurumi dragon to make but there was something about it that was irresistible to me and I could not wait to get started on it.
Dargo’s pattern was well written. His pieces crocheted up easily. The only difficult part was the fact that he has so many pieces to crochet, a head, a body, arms, legs, feet, a tail, wings, eyes, nostrils, ears and then 11 pieces in various sizes to make his comb for his back. Needless to say, this was not a fast crochet. All these pieces took time to make. As I was crocheting these pieces, I decided to not think about how many pieces there were to crochet but to just enjoy the crocheting time involved. And this made the crocheting much more fun.
With all of those pieces crocheted, it was time to stitch them together. This is where I really have to tell myself to not think about all the pieces that have to be stitched together, but instead to tell myself to just take my time and enjoy the stitching. So, I did. I took my time stitching Dargo together and worked on other projects in between stitching his pieces together so that I would not grow bored or wry of this amigurumi. Luckily, I am getting better at stitching amigurumi’s together as I make more and learn better techniques. As I stitched Dargo together, the husband kept asking when I was going to finish the dinosaur. I kept telling him it was not a dinosaur but a dragon. Even after I had stitched the 11 pieces of the comb on Dargo’s back, the husband still kept insisting that Dargo was a dinosaur. It was not until I attached his wings, the very last two pieces, that the husband finally consented that Dargo was indeed a dragon and not just a silly looking bright green dinosaur.
I only made two changes to Dargo’s pattern along the way, both involving his comb. Although I followed the pattern and stitched the first piece of his comb at his neck and then worked my way up and over his head, I ended his comb with a piece in between his eyes. It did not look bad but it was not my favorite look. The last piece of his comb on the top of his head was a medium sized piece. I decided to remove this medium sized piece and crocheted a small sized piece and used it instead. The small sized piece was still between his eyes but it was shorter, and smaller and just looked better. The other change was the second to the last comb piece on his tail. It too was suppose to be a medium sized piece, followed by a small sized piece. Once again, because Dargo’s comb extended down his tail further than the pictures in the pattern showed the comb extending, I opted to use two small sized pieces at the end of the tail instead of a medium sized piece and then a small sized piece. I think Dargo’s comb worked out great this way and I am pleased with how easily I was able to stitch it on to the body. His wings were a little more complicated and tricky to attach. I believe that Dargo will be played with, so I wanted to make sure they were attached securely. To do this, I stitched up the side of the wing a few stitches and across the bottom of the wing a few stitches to make sure the wings were good and tight and would not be able to be ripped off of the body.
As you can already see, there was no problem in naming this dragon. I had not crocheted many of his pieces before he was named Dargo. Of course, naming this dragon was helped by the fact that the husband had just purchased the entire series of Farscape on Blu-Ray for us to watch many years after the Sci-Fi channel television series had ended.
I am very pleased with how nicely Dargo turned out. I think he is both fun and adorable. And I am now excited to make more dragons. What I learned from making Dargo though is to enjoy the journey and not worry about the destination. I hope to remember this lesson as I continue to sew and crochet in the future.
Until next time, crochet forth and crochet on!