Tag Archive | blade

The Grim Reaper

P1030657Halloween is my favorite holiday. I make more plans for Halloween than any other holiday. I decorate more for Halloween than any other holiday, and I usually have more fun on Halloween than on any other holiday. So as Halloween time approaches every year, it is only fitting for my crocheting and sewing projects to mainly involve Halloween. This year while checking out Halloween patterns on Ravelry, I came across this great pattern for the Grim Reaper and I knew that he would be my first Halloween Amigurumi for this year.

.

I started out this project by selecting the yarn. Of course, the grim reapers cloak is usually black, but I wanted some thing a little different. Then I found this steel gray yarn at Hobby Lobby and it looked like what I wanted. It is a great color for the grim reaper’s cloak and I had no problem stitching it up. I chose Red Heart Yarn’s Aran color for the body instead of white. I thought it would give the reaper a little more of a “dead” aged bone look. The other colors were simple to pick, gray for the scythe blade and brown for the staff. The pattern called for a red belt but I picked the same P1030491gray as the blade for the belt instead.

.

The crocheting of the pieces of the grim reaper went smoothly. The body of the cloak is his body so you had to lift his skirt up to attach his legs. I thought the hood might give me a hassle but the pattern was very clear on how to crochet the hood and it was quite easy. The hardest part of this pattern was attaching the arms. The arms and the sleeves are crocheted separately. Then the arms are placed inside the sleeve as far as you can push them and then the arm and sleeve attached to the body. It worked out ok, but I am concerned about how loosely the arms are attached to the body. Luckily, this reaper is a decoration and will not be played with as a doll, so I think the arms will hold up ok.

.

P1030660The blade and staff of the scythe were interesting to crochet and sew together. Before I stitched the blade to the staff, I decided that I wanted the staff to be stiff so I inserted a dowel in it. Then I decided that I wanted the blade to be stiff as well but I still wanted it to curve as the blade should. To get this affect, I insert a pipe cleaner into the blade and shaped it to the look I wanted. Then I stitched the staff and blade together to complete the scythe. Because this is just a decoration, I stitched the scythe to the reaper to keep it in place. I also inserted a dowel in the back of the reaper to help him stand, so between the stiff staff and the back dowel, the reaper stands on his own.

.

Unlike so many of the amigurumi’s that I make, the reaper’s smile was very easy to stitch and soon enough he was complete. I think he turned out to be just adorable which is not the word that usually described the “grim reaper”, but in this case it is right on. I am very pleased with my end results of this project and am happy to have the grim reaper as part of my Halloween diorama this year.

Skip Stitch Blade #1 Vs. Flannel: FIGHT!

Skip Stitch Blade #1 Vs. Flannel: FIGHT!

(Updated: June 13th, 2105)

According to the information on the skip stitch blade’s web site, blade #2 is the one that is designed to be used on flannel.

As you read in a previous post, that is what I used on the first flannel blanket that I tried.This time, rather than matching the skip stitch blade to the fabric of the blanket, I matched it to the yarn and I am happier with the results.

IMG_1833

Before I skip stitched this blanket, I decided that I wanted to use regular weight orange yarn rather than a baby yarn or a crochet cotton. With that decision in mind, I used the skip stitch blade #1 instead of #2 even though the blanket is a flannel fabric.

The slits are farther apart with this blade and so it accommodated the heavier yarn better.

It did not seem to make a difference on the flannel fabric whether it was cut with blade #1 or #2 as to how well the blade worked. Both blade sizes seemed to do an equally good job when being used on flannel fabric.

IMG_1834

I also trimmed my seam allowances so that I could make the skip stitch slits closer to the edge of the blanket.

I cut them at 1/2 inch this time. Because I was closer to the edge, I did not have to fold over the edge and that made for less bulk when crocheting.

Although the 1/2 inch margin is far better than the 1 inch margin of the previous blanket, the next time I think I will try to cut even a little closer to the edge.

The more blankets I crochet the more I like the drop into the slit to be a smaller size and I like the look of the smaller drop and there is less yarn to get caught in the use of the blanket.

The first row on this blanket is chain stitch in the slit then 1 chain stitch, then 1 chain in the next slit, and so on around the blanket.

The second row is chain 2, skip 2 stitches, 5 double crochets in the next stitch, chain 2, skip 2 stitches, then chain in the next stitch, then repeat.

This blanket could be for either a boy or a girl, although adding the second row makes it a little more feminine to me.

I am pleased with the end results of this blanket, both with the use of skip stitch blade #1 and the pattern that I used for the second row.